Sunday, January 11, 2009

Joshua from Seattle shared this one: "llevar a cabo"

I received the following email from the USA, with a new example of a Spanish phrasal verb:

I wanted to let you know that I really like the blog that you've started. Is it true that there are people who insist that there are no phrasal verbs in Spanish? I can't imagine that anyone could claim that, considering the importance of prepositions in the language and the fact that they can be used to completely change the meaning of a verb rather than merely direct the verb's main definition. Anyway, I was a bit surprised that "llevar a cabo" (to carry out) has not found a place in your blog yet. I find it to be a wonderful example of a phrasal verb whose translation is also one.

Yes, Joshua, there are people who say there is no such thing as a phrasal verb, or anything similar, in the Spanish language. But any day now I expect the RAE will succumb to the might of those of us on this blog and join us in spreading the word that, unlike Santa Claus and Los Reyes Magos, Spanish Phrasal Verbs really do exist.

Meanwhile, thanks for the addition, amigo!

No comments: